Learn to knit
If you’d like to learn how to knit, I suggest you start at your local yarn store. That’s the first place I’ve always gone for advice and tips on knitting patterns and supplies. There are also a lot of great websites and videos on YouTube for those who’d like to learn to knit. To start your learning journey, I recommend Tin Can Knits. They’ve got a great section on learning to knit and provide guided how-to tutorials.
Looking for beginner-friendly patterns?
Can Knits, The Simple Collection – https://tincanknits.com/book/the-simple-collection
Ready to try fair isle?
Tin Can Knits, Anthology – https://tincanknits.com/pattern/anthology
Unsure how to catch floats in two-handed fair isle?
Chai Knuckles Knitting video https://www.chaiknucklesknitting.com/blog/2018/4/26/galloway-cardigan-capturing-floats-in-stranded-knitting-video
Interested in creating your own colourwork charts?
Stitch Fiddle – https://www.stitchfiddle.com/en
- Home Work. A Choice Collection of Useful Designs for the Crochet and Knitting Needle. Also, Valuable Recipes for the Toilet (Toronto, Ontario, Canada: Rose Publishing, 1891). Read online here!
- Knit Together: A Study of Late Nineteenth-Century Knitting Patterns Through Contemporary Eyes and Hands
- Victoria & Albert Museum: https://www.vam.ac.uk/articles/1940s-knitting-patterns
- Woman’s Weekly: How to Knit a Vintage Pattern: https://www.womansweekly.com/knitting/vintage-patterns-from-womans-weekly-14783/
- Antique Pattern Library: https://www.antiquepatternlibrary.org/html/warm/main.htm
- Purple Kitty: https://www.purplekittyyarns.com/
- Nalbinding: Nalbinding is an ancient handicraft technique which has been known in many places around the world at least in some period in the history. Other words used to describe nalbinding are for example naalbinding, nalebinding, naalebinding, nålbinding, nålebinding, needle binding, nailbinding, looped needle-netting, needle coiling, knotless netting, and single needle knitting. Click here for more info & to learn how!
- Textile Museum of Canada
- Kirk Dunn: I attended a knitting workshop with Kirk and it was a wonderful learning experience.
- Knitting History Forum
- Yarn Harlot
- Arne & Carlos
- A History of Knitting
Fibre Producers, Resources & Groups
Knit & Natter Groups
- Blyth Knit & Natter – on occasion. Please contact Irene at Stitches With A Twist, Blyth for updates on meetings.
Huron Wristers Kits Pattern Support
We have just started working on a series of Huron Wristers pattern support tutorials. Please go to this link to find the how-to videos.